Why study theatrical media makeup?
This is a course for those wishing to pursue a career in the makeup industry and work on location with groups of people including models and performers. Bespoke courses may be designed to meet individual needs.
What will I study?
- Design and creation of images for fashion and photography shoots and fashion shows
- Airbrush makeup
- Face and body art
- Cosmetic camouflage
- Specialised media makeup
- The application of prosthetic pieces, bald caps and special effects techniques
- Hair skills including creative hairdressing design, styling and dressing hair and fitting postiche
- Anatomy and physiology
- Cosmetic science
- Health and safety
- Research skills
- English and maths (where applicable)
The opportunity to attend masterclasses and workshops will also be available. All of the skills you learn will be perfected as you work with amateur operatic and theatre groups as part of your course, on location in theatres, fashion shows and more. You will also gain industry experience and take part in national competitions.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by a range of methods, including assignments, external assessments and practical observation.
Future careers and pathways
- Study either the HNC/HND in specialist makeup or hair and beauty management at college or other related courses at university
- Employment as a makeup artist on film sets, fashion shows or in the theatre
What are the entry requirements?
- Level 2/3 qualification within the creative area, at tutor’s discretion
- Successful completion of an interview and workshop with a course tutor
- Excellent communication skills and commitment to the programme
- Flexibility to work on location in the evenings and weekends