Why study sports and exercise science?
This course will help you to progress into the rewarding sports and fitness industry. You will develop many techniques and personal skills which will be invaluable in your future work.
As part of your studies, you can use our state-of-the-art fitness facilities and take part in a wide range of outdoor activities.
You will also develop your communication, verbal and numeracy skills which are essential as part of the work in the fitness industry.
What will I study?
- Sports and exercise physiology
- Functional anatomy
- Applied sport and exercise psychology
- Nutrition for sport and exercise performance
- Field and laboratory based fitness testing
- Applied research methods sport and exercise sciences
- Coaching for performance and fitness
- Research project in sport and exercise sciences
- Physical activity for individual and group based exercise
- Specialised fitness training
- Technology in sport and exercise science
- Sports injury and assessment
How will I be assessed?
Modules are assessed through a combination of external assessments, assignments and practical observation.
Future pathways and careers
Acceptance by universities for entry into higher education, with past students going on to study physiotherapy, PE teaching, paramedic science, sports and exercise science, sports nutrition, sports psychology and sports marketing at degree level.
Jobs in the sports industry, e.g. personal training and fitness instructing etc. or various sports coaching opportunities.
The level 4/5 HNC/HND in sport (health, fitness and exercise) is an ideal alternative option for learners, not wishing to continue to university but who want to continue with their academic studies at Retford Post 16 Centre.
What are the entry requirements?
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades A-C (including English and maths) or a BTEC first diploma (distinction profile as well as English and maths grade C).